Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My maiden BRM (202 Kms.)

Cycling & me

In India, cycling is mostly associated with school going children or blue collar workers.
I however, got into cycling after I completed my post graduation & started doing a desk job.

I started cycling on the occasion of Gudhi Padwa (4 April 2011). It was a great fun & I did many amazing rides with my friends. Those rides were fun rides as well as endurance rides.

In Diwali of 2011,  I went on cycling vacation. I discovered the scenic beauty of Kokan with the help of my cycle. On 18 November 2011 I did Mumbai - Pune cycling on my Schwinn. Some accidents also added lot of value. I had accidents on 1 August 2011, 1 January 2012 & 19 May, 2012. But there was a great learning with those accidents. I am very fortunate that I had them!

I later came to know about BRM & thought I will also participate one day. But I was not comfortable to ride in rains. In fact it was a mental block. On 6th August, 2012 I came to know that BRM 200 is scheduled on 12th August. I was in double mind whether to attempt or not. I was out of practice since last 2 months. But still I was confident that 200 will be a cake walk for me. I was only worried about monsoon.

Suddenly a decision was taken - let's do it. I came back from work on 7th August & then repaired my bike. Went to domestic airport for a ride around 9 pm. Decided to practise for at least 3-4 days before BRM. I had decided to do Powai - Sion - Vile Parle loop on 8th August. But on 7th night only my front wheel got punctured. I guess there was more air filled in the front wheel. So I couldn't practise on 8th. Also till 11th August I didn't get time to practise.

But still I was confident that 200 is going to be a cake walk for me. I am an educated person. I must do smart work. Not hard work. So I had designed all my strategies accordingly.

Finally the day came! I got up at 2.20 AM in the morning. Did some breathing exercises. Since, I am asthmatic since birth, took inhalers in the morning to be on a safer side.But I didn't carry that with me. It was limited space which I had. I had taken 7 nutritional, cash, my hand phone, 4 electoral satches, ONLY ONE sipper, spare tube & glares.

Started my BRM at 5.34 AM from National Park after completing all the formalities. After few minutes I saw Pullu. He was removing a puncture near Kashimira flyover. I prayed to myself that let Rajesh remove the puncture soon. Also prayed that no punctures for me today. Continued..

Passed Fountain. Then it was a very straight road. Started at good pace. It started raining. and the experience was just awesome. I regretted that why I had this mental block in my mind about monsoon. It was so much ease to ride in rains. I enjoyed it to fullest.

I passed Sativali. Then gradually my hands started becoming numb. Before 5 Kms. I saw Hotel DECENT. I decided to stop there for 10-15 minutes. I had chai & one Rs. 10/- packet of Parle G. Filled up my sipper with fresh water. Had electrol as well. And continued.

The weather was just awesome so it was a fun and enjoyment. Later I saw Asherigad peak on the way. Somewhere after Palghar. In 2009 I had done a monsoon hike there so the area was familiar to me. This gave me some Deja Wu moments. I stopped had a nutribar & then continue.

My bike had some problem as it was not properly oiled. When I shift the gear on lower chain ring then it easily doesn't move on the upper chain ring. I knew this. So decided that last few Kms. from  Vasai I will do on lower chain ring. But till then I am not going to shift on lower chain ring. Hence, I was compelled to do all the climbs on upper chain ring!! But that was a part of strategy & hence no regrets.

I continued. Saw many riders over taking me. Sunil, Kailas Patil, Sherezad, Prabuddha & some riders over took me post Charoti toll. I thought it would be hardly any distance from Charoti toll naka. But in realty it was more. Also, I had observed that post Manor there were lots of climbs. I was smiling while doing them as I knew these are going to be descends for my return journey. Around 10.30 AM I reached ARAM Hotel.

I had Idali & coffee with Kailas, Prabuddha, Sherezad & Sunil. I left immediately post that. I guess others left 10-15 minutes later than me. I left around 11.50 AM.

Return journey was nice as well. I stopped near Manor once. Then near Vasai. And several times in between. I don't have much physical power. I knew that I should eat continuously. And that's what I did.

Post Vasai, I put my bike on lower chain ring & then road some Kms. I knew that I am going to complete it. But I don't wanted to test myself with no practice at all. So some climbs I walked with my bike. I even stopped at flyover just before Borivali national park. I saw Dhairyash over taking me. And also I saw Mahesh Nambiar who was coming under the flyover. But I was bit tired at that time. So took it very easy. Finally I completed BRM 200. Signed on the sheet.

And my maiden BRM 200 in my first attempt only because of my strategic planning & execution :)

Guys do comment if you feel worth..

- Cyclivist Nachiket Marathe 

10 comments:

  1. Very Nice and a descreptive blog. Good Job. Success in the Maiden Venture. You are built for tougher things, so Go for it !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Great achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing and inspiring, keep up the good work Nachi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Nachiket. You are a very technical rider! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great achievement and very well written, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great achievement and very well written, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  7. good account and a nicely strategicaly planned ride regarding the lower gear issue

    ReplyDelete